Drinking glass fragment excavated at Fort Ticonderoga
Overall: 1 1/2 x 1 x 3/8 in. ( 3.8 x 2.5 x 1 cm )
Drinking glass fragment excavated at Fort Ticonderoga; colorless glass; stem fragment with collar and partial foot.
This fragment was excavated on September 30, 1935 by the Field Exploration Committee on the shore of Lake Champlain below Fort Ticonderoga, in New York. Built by the French in 1755 and named Carillon, the fort was destroyed in 1759 in anticipation of capture. Rebuilt as Ticonderoga, it was captured on May 10, 1775 by the Green Mountain Boys, under Ethan Allen and Benedict Arnold, and recaptured by General Burgoyne in June, 1777. The fragment was part of a drinking glass, probably for wine.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.