Dress helmet with plume
Wool, cork, silk, cord, metal; horsehair
Overall (a, helmet): 6 3/4 × 10 1/2 × 7 1/8 in. (17.1 × 26.7 × 18.1 cm) Part (e, plume): 15 × 6 × 4 in. (38.1 ×
in relief: on front insignia plate: "E PLURIBUS UNUM" (on banner) and "1" stamped in gold: inside crown: "ST. NICHOLAS HOTEL. / No. 519 B'WAY / NEW YORK / WARNOCK & Co."
Dress helmet made of black wool felt over cork; peaks in front and back, both angled downward; large metal shield-breasted eagle insignia on front with crossed cannon and number "1" in relief; braided gold cord suspended from hooks with shield-shaped mounts attached to sides and back of hat; gilded metal scale chin strap attached to buttons molded with crossed cannon attached at either side; black and yellow striped sweatband with quilting, and purple silk(?) lining inside of crown; red horsehair plume (missing holder).
The number "1" and the crossed cannon insignia identify this helmet with the 1st U.S. Artillery. According to the accession records, this helmet was worn by Thomas Henry Barber (father of the donor), who served in the 1st Artillery from 1867 to 1885. New York City directories indicate that Warnock & Co. was located at 519 Broadway from 1858 to 1882.
Gift of Thomas H. Barber
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.