Doll's dress: 3 piece pink silk ensemble
Silk, lace, cotton
Overall (shoulder to train): 23 1/2 in. (59.7 cm)
Five piece doll's dress consisiting of white cotton petticoat with train, pin-tucked and edged in cotton lace; four panel pink silk skirt with train lined in cotton linen; knife pleating at waist, blonde lace trim at hem; pin-tucked blonde lace overskirt with pink bows trimming shortened front skirt and hanging at gathered back; off-the-shoulder pink silk bodice lined in cotton muslin and edged with blonde lace at neck and 3/4 sleeves; princess styling at front with "V" waistline and five hook and eye closures at back; seperate pieced blonde lace collar trimmed with pink silk bow at center front.
This doll, Helen, her wardrobe and trunk were originally owned by Mary Augusta Colson whose seafaring family roots were in Brooklyn, New York and New England. The doll was purchased for Mary as a favor to Captain Colson by the owner of his ship, Vernon H. Brown in 1876. Mrs. Brown spent weeks with her dressmaker designing the most current fashions for the doll. Mary was later photographed with her doll in Boston, as were successive generations of female descendants, including the donor.
Gift of Marian F. Fraser
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.