Doll's dress: 3 piece blue wool sailor ensemble with sash
Wool, cotton trim, glass
Overall (shoulder to hem): 17 1/2 in. (44.5 cm)
3 piece blue wool doll's dress comprised of skirt with knife pleating and gathering at waist and five rows of blue and white cotton trim at hem; long sleeved bodice with sailor collar, edged with blue and white cotton trim at front placket, back seams, collar and cuffs, blonde lace around neckline and white glass buttons at front closure (one missing with fabric replacement); matching sash edged with blue and white cotton trim; self closure at front.
This doll, Helen, her wardrobe and trunk were originally owned by Mary Augusta Colson whose seafaring family roots were in Brooklyn, New York and New England. The doll was purchased for Mary as a favor to Captain Colson by the owner of his ship, Vernon H. Brown in 1876. Mrs. Brown spent weeks with her dressmaker designing the most current fashions for the doll. Mary was later photographed with her doll in Boston, as were successive generations of female descendants, including the donor.
Gift of Marian F. Fraser
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.