Delftware fragment excavated at a British Revolutionary War camp
Overall: 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 in. ( 5.7 x 5.7 cm )
Delftware fragment excavated at the British military camp on the Dyckman farm in Washington Heights, Manhattan; body fragment with underglazed manganese, yellow, orange, green, and blue floral design.
This delftware fragment was excavated in 1916 by Charles A. Maver on Payson Avenue near the corner of Academy Street, at the British camp on the Dyckman farm. The camp extended between Seaman and Payson Avenues and 204th Street in Washington Heights. The fragment was owned by a British or Hessian soldier, by a member of a soldier's family or by a civilian living in the camp, or was obtained from local residents.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.