Decanter with stopper
Overall: 10 x 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 in. ( 25.4 x 8.9 x 8.9 cm )
engraved: on underside: "L.C. Tiffany - Favrile" engraved: on underside: "116"
Pale amber blown glass decanter and stopper with reddish gold iridescent finish; square body with rounded corners, depressions in the center of each side; long, thin neck tapered at the middle; ground pontil mark. Stopper is miniature inverted version of decanter, with small ball finial.
"Favrile" was the trademark term, patented in 1894, used for all glassware manufactured at the Tiffany Glass and Decorating Company, later Tiffany Studios. Tiffany's was the first American glass to gain international fame for aesthetic rather than merely technical reasons. These luxury products also exemplify his flair for combining design, promotion, and new industrial and labor practices to lower manufacturing costs.
Gift of Mrs. J. Ferris Simmons
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.