overall, without stopper: 8 3/4 x 5 in. ( 22.2 x 12.7 cm )
embossed: on side; "BRANDY"
Colorless lead glass decanter blown in a three-part mold (McKearin GIV-7) with a tapered neck with flanged lip, sloping shoulders and squat cylindrical body molded with two rows of gothic pointed arches containing stylized leaf motifs divided by two horizontal rings with an oval panel formed by two snakes whose tails intertwine and extend to the base containing inscription "BRANDY," ribbed base (McKearin 34) with pontil mark; with a bulb-shaped stopper of light green glass blown in a three-part mold (not identified by McKearin) with lion's masks. Stopper not original to decanter.
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.