Cup or tea bowl fragment

Object Number: 
INV.5943.39
Date: 
1775-1810
Medium: 
Earthenware
Dimensions: 
Overall: 1 x 2 in. ( 2.5 x 5.1 cm )
Description: 
Earthenware fragment; pearlware base with brown band near bottom.
Gallery Label: 
This fragment was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and William L. Calver from a refuse pit at the farmhouse of the Van Oblienis family, between Broadway and Fort Washington Avenue at 176th Street. The house was built in 1704 and was part of a farm that extended between 175th and 181st Streets. By 1776 the farm had passed out of the Van Oblienis family, and the land below 178th Street was sold to Jacob Arden.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group