Overall: 2 x 3 1/4 in. ( 5.1 x 8.3 cm )
Iron cup; circular body with C-shaped handle.
This cup was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others at a military camp on the east side of Broadway at Arden Street in Washington Heights, Manhattan. Built after the surrender of Fort Washington by American forces on November 16, 1776, the camp was occupied by British and Hessian soldiers until evacuation in 1783. The cup was probably part of a mess kit that belonged to a British, Hessian, or Loyalist soldier.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.