Croton Aqueduct commemorative medal
Silver; leather, cardboard, silk
case: 2 3/8 x 2 3/8 x 9/16 in. ( 6 x 6 x 1.4 cm ) diameter: 2 in. ( 5.1 cm )
Inscription: reverse, at left of field, around rim: "R. LOVETT" Inscription: reverse, at upper center, engraved: "Stephen Allen/ 1st Prest. Comrs." Inscription: note, in black ink: "aPRIL 11. 1879./From Mrs. William M. Allen/to THE NEW-YORK HISTORICAL S
Silver struck medal with obverse showing detail of aqueduct with inscription: "DISCHARGE/IN 34 HOURS/60 000 000 GALS./7 Ft. 5 In./8 Ft. 61 In. [vertically]/DESCENT/13 1/4 INCHES Pr. MILE"; below at bottom: "CROTON AQUEDUCT"; legend: "BUILT IN THE CITY OF NEW YORK. COMMENCED, A.D. 1837./WATER INTRODUCED 4.TH JULY, 1842./LENGTH 41 M." Reverse shows full view of aqueduct structure, inscribed "114 FEET/ABOVE TIDE,/36 FT./DEEP.", with distant cityscape in the background; inscription in exergue: "DISTRIBUTING RESERVOIR./CAP: DIS: RES: 21 000 000 GALLs./CAP: REC: RES: 130 000 000 GALLs./CROTON LAKE RESERVOIR/AVAILABLE CAPACITY/300 000 000 GALLs." Burgundy red square leather case with dark brown silk velvet lining.
This medal commemorates the 1842 completion of the Croton Aqueduct, which provided the first dependable water supply for New York City. The water conduit spanned a distance of forty-one miles, from the upstate New York Croton Dam to a reservoir in what is today Central Park. The execution of John B. Jervis's design for the aqueduct cost upward of $11.5 million.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.