Cross section of Stuyvesant pear tree
overall: 7 x 30 x 34 in.
Cross section of pear tree mounted on wooden platform with inscription "Section of the Old Stuyvesant pear tree four feet from the ground. Presented by Rutherfurd Stuyvesant."
This fragment comes from the pear tree which was brought from Holland as a sapling by Peter Stuyvesant (1592-1672), the last director-general of New Netherland. The tree was planted at Stuyvesant's bouwery, or country estate, at what is now the northeast corner of Third Avenue and 13th Street. The tree stood until February, 1867, when a vehicle collided against it and sent it crashing to the ground.
Gift of Rutherfurd Stuyvesant
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.