Cromwell Farmhouse, Bronx, New York
Watercolor, graphite, gouache, and brown ink on gray heavy paper
Overall: 11 5/8 x 16 1/8 in. ( 29.5 x 41 cm ) mat: 22 x 28 in. ( 55.9 x 71.1 cm )
signature and date: lower left: "W.R. Miller/ Augt. 24,1855, Morrisania"
Signed and inscribed at lower left in graphite: "W. R. Miller / Augt. 24th. 1855. Morrisana"
The Cromwell farmhouse was erected about 1760 in the valley at the head of the now-obliterated Cromwell's Creek near the present Cromwell and McClellan avenues in the borough of the Bronx. The house was still standing in the early 1920s. In 1948 the Kennedy Galleries, New York City, had an undated oil of the same subject by Miller. Sheep were substituted in place of the woman, child and dog seen at the lower left of the Society's study.
Purchase, James B. Wilbur Fund
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.