Creamware fragments (2) excavated at Fort Washington
Overall: 1 x 2 3/8 in. ( 2.5 x 6 cm )
Creamware fragments; base and rim fragment; underglazed red and green hand-painted floral design.
These fragments were excavated in 1922 by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse deposit in a moat outside the south ramparts of Fort Washington. Built by the Continental Army in the summer of 1776, the fort extended west along 183rd Street from Fort Washington Avenue to Pinehurst Avenue. The fort was captured on November 16, 1776 by British and Hessian forces, and was occupied by them until 1783. The fragments were part of a small bowl that was probably used by a soldier.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.