1815-1845 or 1910-1930
Overall: 4 x 3 7/8 x 2 3/4 in. ( 10.2 x 9.8 x 7 cm )
Colorless glass cream jug, blown in a 3-part mold; cylindrical body with tall neck and flared rim; applied handle; horizontal rings around neck, vertical ribbing below; on body, 6 vertical lozenges, each decorated with 3 raised dots on background of vertical lines or filled in with lines tracing shape of lozenge, separated by columns of raised dots; vertical ribs below; plain base, with pontil mark.
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.