Cooper's Hawk (Accipter cooperii), Havell plate no. 36
1824; c. 1824-26
Watercolor, pastel, graphite, and black ink with touches of gouache, scratching out, and selective glazing on two sheets of paper, laid on card
Paper: 38 5/8 x 18 5/8 in. (98.1 x 47.3 cm) Mat: 53 x 39 in. (134.6 x 99.1 cm)
Birds numbered lower and upper respectively in brown ink: "1"; "2"
Second year male and adult female. Audubon originally called this bird the Stanley Hawk after Lord Stanley (Edward Smith Stanley, 13th Earl of Derby, 1775-c.1852). The bird was named after William Cooper (1798–1864), a conchologist and one of the founders of the New York Lyceum of Natural History, by Charles Lucien Bonaparte in 1828.
bottom bird painted in Philidelphia in 1824; top bird painted at Bayou Sara, Louisiana ca. 1824-1826.
Purchased for the Society by public subscription from Mrs. John J. Audubon
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.