Overall: 1 3/4 x 2 1/8 in. ( 4.4 x 5.4 cm )
Buff-colored earthenware container with black mottled underglaze; narrow opening at center of domed top and arched door pierced into base.
This container may have been used as an insect trap. It was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
Purchased from Elie Nadelman, 1937
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.