Commemorative plate: Christopher Columbus
Porcelain, hand painting
Overall: 1 3/16 x 9 3/8 in. ( 3 x 23.8 cm )
painted at edge of central scene: "A. Souest" (?) stamped on back of plate: "FRANCE" stamped on back of plate: "A" inside interlaced L's: fake mark after the Sevres porcelain manufactory
Circular porclain plate with scalloped and pierced rim; handpainted central roundel of the arrival of Christopher Columbus in the new world; border painted with wreathed vignettes depicting Ferdinand and Isabella and various emblems of exploration, including hourglass and trident and ship's wheel; image of anchor and oars inscribed with "1492", globe and maps inscribed with "1892". Wreaths alternate with stars and stripes swags. Maker's marks stamped in blue on reverse: "A" within crossed script L's and "FRANCE" below; Painted decorator's mark (?) of green arrow between 2 gold bars. Handwritten label on masking tape adhered to reverse: "Frank de Caro/ HAND PAINTED/ COMMEMORATIVE/ PLATE COLUMBUS/ 1492-1892/ PRESENTED TO F. DeCARO"
The central image on this plate is painted after the 1842 "The Landing of Columbus" by John Vanderlyn. The plate was produced in France, most likely for the American market, as a token of the Columbian Exposition celebration of the laying of the cornerstone of the Christopher Columbus statue on 5th Avenue and 53rd Street on September 17, 1892 in NYC. The plate was owned by Frank Anthony DeCaro, an Italian immigrant who spent much of his life advocating the initiation of the Columbus Day holiday.
Gift of Dr. Frank de Caro
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.