Coins (4) excavated at a British Revolutionary War camp
largest: 1 in. ( 2.5 cm )
Copper coins excavated at the British military camp on the Dyckman farm in Washington Heights, Manhattan; disk-shaped.
These coins were excavated by the Field Exploration Committee on September 8, 1918 at the British camp on the Dyckman farm, between Seaman and Payson Avenues and 204th and Academy Streets in Washington Heights. They were used to pay the British soldiers that occupied the camp from 1776 until evacuation in 1783.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.