Coins (3) excavated at a British Revolutionary War camp
largest: 1 in. ( 2.5 cm )
stamped: (10-12), front of coin: "GEORGIVS.......REX" on back: "BRITANNIA..."
Copper coins excavated at the British military camp on the Dyckman farm in Washington Heights, Manhattan; disks inscribed on both sides and embossed on front with a profile bust of King George, and on back with a figure of Britannia holding a staff and leaning on a shield.
These coins were excavated by Reginald P. Bolton, William L. Calver, and others prior to the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918, at the British camp on the Dyckman farm, between Seaman and Payson Avenues and 204th and Academy Streets in Washington Heights. The coins were used to pay the British soldiers that occupied the camp from 1776 until evacuation in 1783.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.