Coins (2) excavated at a Revolutionary War military camp
largest: 1 in. ( 2.5 cm )
Copper coins; embossed on front with a profile bust.
These coins were excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others at 170th Street near Fort Washington Avenue, within the area of a military camp that extended west of Broadway between 168th and 171st Streets. Built after the surrender of Fort Washington by American forces on November 16, 1776, the camp was occupied by British and Hessian troops until evacuation in 1783. The coins probably belonged to British soldiers.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.