Coin excavated at Fort Washington
Overall: 1 3/8 in. ( 3.5 cm )
This coin was excavated on May 20th or 21st, 1922 by the Field Exploration Committee at Fort Washington. Built by the Continental Army in the summer of 1776, the fort extended west along 183rd Street from Fort Washington Avenue to Pinehurst Avenue. The fort was captured on November 16, 1776 by British and Hessian forces, and was occupied by them until 1783. The coin probably belonged to a British soldier stationed at the fort.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.