2 3/4 x 3 1/2 in. diameter
A cream colored ceramic coffee cup glazed with a delft blue pattern around three scenes commemorating the opening of a railroad. The first shows a large closed wagon being pulled by a horse labeled "Horse Drawn Car 1830". The reverse shows a steam engine train and is labeled "The 'Philip E. Thomas' 1838." In the middle is a scene with a memorial stone marked "First Stone/ of the/ Balt. & Ohio Railroad" with the caption "Laid July 4, 1828". The bottom has an image of the capital dome surrounded by the words "1827 1927 Baltimore and Ohio Railroad".
Gift of Bella C. Landauer
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.