Clay tobacco pipe fragment excavated at a British Revolutionary War camp
Overall: 1 1/4 x 3/4 in. ( 3.2 x 1.9 cm )
stamped: (453), on bowl: "T.D."
Clay tobacco pipe fragment excavated at the British military camp on the Dyckman farm in Washington Heights, Manhattan; bowl fragment inscribed with maker's mark.
This pipe fragment was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton, William L. Calver, and others before the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918, at the British camp on the Dyckman farm, between Seaman and Payson Avenues, and at 204th St. in Washington Heights. The pipe was owned by a soldier, and tobacco residue on the interior of the bowl indicates that it has been smoked.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.