Christopher Henry Spingler (1747-1814)
Oil on canvas
Overall: 30 x 24 in. ( 76.2 x 61 cm )
inscription: on back: "Henry Spingler / AE 58- / EV Coe / 1831"
The subject, the son of Balthus Spingler, is recorded in the New York City Directory as a butcher and shopkeeper. He was also active in buying, selling, and leasing land in New York. In 1788 he purchased a 22-acre plot at what is now 13th Street to 16th Street between Fourth and Sixth avenues. The Society owns a watercolor of 1848 by William R. Miller showing the original house on Spingler's farm. The Spingler Institute, a fashionable girls' school on Union Square, was founded by the subject.
Bequest of Cornelius Von Erden Mitchell
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.