"Chateau de Luxembourg"
Silk, wool, paint, paper
Overall: 15 1/2 x 25 1/2 x 1/8 in. ( 39.4 x 64.8 x 0.3 cm )
painted: bottom left: "CHATEAU DE LUXEMBOURG" painted: bottom right: "MARY ANNA."
Horizontal rectangular needlework picture in various colors of wool, silk floss and paint on a yellow satin ground; the Chateau de Luxembourg is depicted, surrounded by houses with sheep and goats, trees and a moat in shimmering gold and green, with sailboats and swans, one male figure is mounted on a horse in the foreground next to two male and female figures and a dog standing by the moat, their heads are painted on paper and stitched to the picture; stitches include satin, straight couching and knots.
This needlework picture was made by the donor's mother, Mary Anna Woodgate Walter (1838-1916), and was exhibited in New York's Crystal Palace sometime before 1858. The cast-iron and glass Crystal Palace was completed in 1853, and was designed by Georg J. B. Carstensen and Charles Gildemeister. It was the site of the first World's Fair in the U.S., "Exhibition of the Industry of All Nations," which closed in 1854. Until it burned down in 1858, the Crystal Palace was used to host special events.
Gift of Anna Walter Church
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.