Charles Lewis Tiffany (1812-1902)
Oil on canvas
Overall: 29 3/4 x 25 in. ( 75.6 x 63.5 cm ) Frame: 32 3/4 x 27 3/4 in. (83.2 x 70.5 cm)
In 1837 Charles L. Tiffany and his friend John B. Young opened a notions store near New York City Hall. Their business prospered and developed until, in 1853, the firm became Tiffany and Company. Tiffany was a founder of the New York Society of Fine Arts, a patron of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, a trustee of the American Museum of Natural History, and a member of The New-York Historical Society. Charles L. Tiffany was the father of Louis Comfort Tiffany (1848-1933), the artist and glassmaker.
Gift of Mrs. Comfort Tiffany Gilder
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.