Chapeau (bicorne)

Object Number: 
1962.51i
Date: 
1850-1870
Medium: 
Beaver skin, textile, metal
Dimensions: 
Overall: 8 x 16 x 4 1/2 in. ( 20.3 x 40.6 x 11.4 cm )
Description: 
Black beaver chapeau with wide gold metallic cloth tape on edges of cock and fan, and a large embroidered button at each corner; cockade in the form of a rectangular strip of ribbon (upper half purple and lower half white), bisected vertically by a twisted loop of gold bullion extending from center point on upper edge of cock to gilded metal button below with two-headed eagle insignia; two additional loops of gold bullion (of irregular shape) also attached near center point on upper edge of cock.
Gallery Label: 
According to the accession records, this chapeau was worn as part of the court uniform of the donor's grandfather, the Chevalier Charles Frederick de Loosey, who served as Austrian-Hungarian Counsel General at New York from 1850 to 1870. Various other parts of de Loosey's uniform are also in the N-YHS Collection.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Henry O. Havemeyer, Esquire
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group