Textile, silk, metal
Overall: 9 1/2 x 19 1/4 x 4 3/4 in. ( 24.1 x 48.9 x 12.1 cm )
Black beaver (textile) chapeau with rigid crown; wide border of black silk on edges of cock and fan; cockade in the form of a large, somewhat irregular black silk rosette with superimposed loop of twisted gold bullion attached to a gilded metal button embossed with an eagle perched on an anchor.
According to the accession records, this chapeau belonged to Dr. James C. Palmer (1811-1883), fleet surgeon for Admiral Farragut at the Battle of Mobile Bay (August 5, 1864), and later Surgeon-General of the Navy (1872-1873).
Gift of Colonel A. Kenny C. Palmer
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.