Catskill Aqueduct Medal
diameter: 1 1/2 in. ( 3.8 cm )
Inscription: obverse, on bust truncation, at left: "DCF" Inscription: edge, lower center: "MEDALLIC ART CO. N.Y."
Bronze struck medal with obverse showing idealized female head representing Columbia crowned with laurel wreath within beaded border. Reverse depicts nude allegorical male figure pouring water; inscription: "TO COMMEMORATE THE COMPLETION/OF THE CATSKILL AQUEDUCT/AN ACHIEVEMENT OF CIVIC SPIRIT/SCIENTIFIC GENIUS AND FAITHFUL LABOR/1905 NEW YORK 1917."
This medal commemorates the completion of the Catskill Aqueduct in 1917. The development of the Catskill region was meant to supplement water supplied to New York City from the Croton Aqueduct, which had been completed in 1842. The Catskill System was planned by the Board of Water Supply, a committee that had been established in 1905 to anticipate the city's increasing need for more water.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.