Caps (2) excavated at Fort Ticonderoga
largest: 1 in. ( 2.5 cm )
Brass caps excavated at Fort Ticonderoga; circular shaped.
These caps were excavated on October 1, 1935 by the Field Exploration Committee on the shore of Lake Champlain at Fort Ticonderoga, in New York. Built by the French in 1755 and called Carillon, the fort was destroyed in 1759 in anticipation of capture. Rebuilt as Ticonderoga, it was captured on May 10, 1775 by the Green Mountain Boys, under the command of Ethan Allen and Benedict Arnold, and recaptured by General Burgoyne in June, 1777. The caps are possibly from lighting devices.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.