Overall: 6 1/2 x 6 in. ( 16.5 x 15.2 cm )
embroidered: front canteen: "...Co/4 Regiment/C.M/SCV." (4th Regiment, Charleston Militia, South Carolina Volunteers)
Tin and wool canteen; drum-shaped, circular tin body with blue wool cover on sides of canteen and white wool on back and on front with embroidered red lettering, two tin sling loops on sides and one at bottom, and cylindrical mouthpiece.
According to accession records, this canteen was found by Major George McLean on the Civil War battlefield at Bull Run, Virginia in June, 1861.
Gift of Helen McLean
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.