each overall: 4 1/2 x 3 x 4 3/8 in. ( 11.4 x 7.6 x 11.1 cm )
Inscription: crest attributed to Bancker family engraved at center-front of both canns. Maker's mark: stamped in relief on bottom of both canns: "B R" conjoined in oval surround.
Pair of wrought silver canns; baluster-shaped bodies on a circular molded feet; plain, molded bands applied around the rims; cast, s-scroll handles with plain thumbpieces, rat-tail lower terminuses; engraved on the front centers with the Bancker family crest, two expanded wings; maker's marks stamped on the bases.
These canns are marked by Bartholomew Le Roux II, son of the noted silversmith Charles Le Roux and the third generation to follow the family trade. Their form adheres to a design formula popular in New York City at mid-century. Each cann bears the engraved crest of the Beekman or Bancker family, probably added in the nineteenth century. Although the original owner of the set is unknown, it was likely a Beekman. Interestingly, Le Roux's mother was Catharina Beekman (b. 1689), daughter of the wealthy landowner and physician Gerardus Beekman (1653-1723), and his kinship ties may have helped him secure the patronage of the family.
Gift of Mrs. Waldron Phoenix Belknap, Sr.; The Waldron Phoenix Belknap, Jr. Collection
Unknown prior to acquisition before 1948 by dealer Robert Ensko, New York City; by sale to Waldron Phoenix Belknap, Jr. (1899-1949), in 1948; inherited by his mother, Mrs. Waldron Phoenix Belknap, Sr. (1874-1959), the donor.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.