Cannonball excavated at Fort Washington
Overall: 4 1/2 in. ( 11.4 cm )
This cannonball was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse deposit outside the south ramparts of Fort Washington. Built by the Continental Army in the summer of 1776, the fort extended west along 183rd Street from Fort Washington Avenue to Pinehurst Avenue. The fort was captured on November 16, 1776 by British and Hessian forces, and was occupied by them until 1783. The cannonball belonged to the British Army, or was part of stores captured after the American surrender.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.