Cannon ball: 50 lb bombshell...1947
Overall: 8 in. ( 20.3 cm )
Iron artillery shell; hole at top.
According to an attached tag, this artillery shell was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others at a military camp on the Colonial Dyckman farm, at 204th Street between Seaman and Payson Avenues in Washington Heights, Manhattan. Built after the American surrender of Fort Washington on November 16, 1776, the camp was occupied by British and Hessian troops until evacuation in 1783. The shell was probably abandoned by evacuating American or British forces.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.