Overall: 65 x 9 in. ( 165.1 x 22.9 cm )
Iron cannon from War of 1812; lacking one trunnion.
One of two cannons secured as condemned property from the U.S. Government by the Abeel family during the War of 1812 and erected as entrance gate posts at the business establishment of Abeel Brothers Iron and Steel Company, 190 South Street, between Oliver Street and James Slip. The site is now occupied by the Alfred E. Smith Housing Project.
Gift of the D.E.H. Demolition Company, Inc. and Meyer Gach and Son through the N.Y. Housing Authority
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.