Camphene oil lamp
Glass, brass, marble
Overall: 13 x 4 1/4 x 4 1/4 in. ( 33 x 10.8 x 10.8 cm )
Oil lamp with colorless, pressed glass font, cast brass standard, and square marble base; flaring cup-shaped font in form of lotus blossom with domed top; columnar standard; brass collar and cover with splayed wick tubes.
According to the accession records, this lamp belonged to John Ramage (ca.1748-1802), a miniature painter. The domed top of this lamp's font was formed by using the Magoun Patent method. This method, invented by Joseph Magoun of the New England Glass Company in 1847, eliminated moldmarks by using a hinged, three-part mold to form the sides of the font and a one-piece cylindrical mold to form a cylinder that was then tooled to form the dome.
Gift of W.R. Britton
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.