Calthrop excavated at a British Revolutionary War camp
Overall: 2 x 2 5/8 x 1/2 in. ( 5.1 x 6.7 x 1.3 cm )
Iron calthrop excavated at the British military camp on the Dyckman farm in Washington Heights, Manhattan; large point resting on three pointed legs.
This calthrop was excavated in 1915 by Reginald P. Bolton, William L. Calver, and others prior to the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918, at the British camp on the Dyckman farm (Hut W), between Seaman and Payson Avenues and 204th and Academy Streets in Washington Heights. Calthrops were placed on the ground with one point up and used to impede the progress of advancing troops. This calthrop was stored with the Reginald Pelham Bolton Collection in the Morris-Jumel Mansion.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.