Pewter buttons excavated at West Point; disks; two have engraved floral designs; one has embossed flower petals.
These buttons were excavated on August 3, 1924 by the Field Exploration Committee from Fort Wyllis at West Point, a series of barracks and forts built in Orange County, New York by the Continental Army in 1777. West Point was built to control the Hudson River, and to guard the Hudson Highlands from an attack by the British Army stationed in New York City. The buttons belonged to soldiers, and the decorated buttons possibly belonged to officers.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024