largest: 1/8 x 7/8 in. ( 0.3 x 2.2 cm )
stamped: front: "RP" (possibly Royal Provincial; crown over name)
Pewter buttons; flat disks with regiment emblem stamped on front..
These buttons were excavated by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse deposit near a military camp and fort at Richmond, Staten Island. Built after the arrival of British forces under General William Howe in July, 1776, the fort was occupied by British and Hessian troops until evacuation in 1783. The buttons were probably issued by the British Army, to be worn on loyalist military uniforms.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.