Buttons (6) excavated at Revolutionary War sites
Pewter or brass
largest: 1 in. ( 2.5 cm )
Pewter or brass buttons excavated at various Revolutionary War sites in Washington Heights; pewter or brass disk or dome-shaped buttons; most are solid pewter; one button has a thin pewter face with a bone back; most buttons have pewter loops on back for attachment to clothing; the brass button is hollow and has two small holes in the back.
These buttons were excavated by the Field Exploration Committee at various sites in Washington Heights. They were stored as part of the Reginald Pelham Bolton Collection of Revolutionary War Relics in the Jumel Mansion, at 160th Street and Edgecomb Avenue. The smallest button (No. 243) is a gaiter button. The solid pewter buttons possibly belonged to Hessians.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.