Expanded Hours

We're now Wednesdays through Sundays! Proof of vaccination is required. Learn more >

Buttons (48) excavated at West Point

Object Number: 
INV.5925.271-318
Date: 
1760-1783
Medium: 
Pewter, brass, bronze, bone
Dimensions: 
largest: 1 1/8 in. ( 2.9 cm )
Marks: 
stamped: (271), front of button: "USA" (Continental Army military button) stamped: (273), back of button: "..........ITY" stamped: (317), back of button: "RST...H"
Description: 
Pewter, brass, or bronze buttons excavated at West Point; most of the buttons are disk-shaped and solid, but five are dome-shaped and hollow; one solid pewter button has an emblem inscribed on front; one solid brass and another solid pewter button are inscribed on back; eight buttons are disk-shaped and have thin metal faces, and one of these buttons has a brass face and bone back.
Gallery Label: 
These buttons were excavated in 1923 by the Field Exploration Committee from the refuse pit of the Revolutionary War barracks at West Point, a citadel in Orange County, New York built by the Continental Army in 1777. The buttons inscribed on back were probably manufactured after the war, since maker's names were not stamped on buttons until the nineteenth century. The thin-faced buttons probably belonged to officers, and may have been sent from France as part of military aid shipments.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group