Buttons (3) excavated at West Point
largest: 1/2 in. ( 1.3 cm )
Bone buttons excavated at West Point; disk-shaped; two are pierced with one hole in center; other button has five holes.
These buttons were excavated by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse dump near the nineteenth-century barracks at West Point, a series of forts and barracks in Orange County, New York built by the Continental Army in 1777. The buttons are of the type worn by American soldiers during and after the War of 1812.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.