Expanded Hours

We're now Wednesdays through Sundays! Proof of vaccination is required. Learn more >

Buttons (3) excavated at a Revolutionary War military hut

Object Number: 
INV.6100.398-400
Date: 
1760-1810
Medium: 
Brass
Dimensions: 
largest: 3/4 in. ( 1.9 cm )
Marks: 
stamped: (398), on back: "PLATED" (this button may date to the late eighteenth or early nineteenth century)
Description: 
Brass buttons; one is inscribed on back.
Gallery Label: 
These buttons were excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others from a military hut at 182nd Street between Fort Washington and Bennett Avenues. The hut was built sometime after the surrender of Fort Washington on November 16, 1776, and was probably occupied by officers of the British and Hessian garrisons of the fort.
Credit Line: 
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group