Buttons (25) excavated at West Point
Brass, bronze, pewter, gilt, copper, tin
largest: 3/4 x 5/8 in. ( 1.9 x 1.6 cm )
stamped: (337-41), front of button: "A" (design of eagle grasping arrows; probably artillery buttons, c. 1820-25) stamped: (342), front of button: "LA" (foliate script; Light Artillery, c. 1808-1812) stamped: (343-44), front of button: "CORPS" (eagle pe
Brass, bronze, pewter, or gilded, or tin buttons excavated at West Point; ten buttons are hollow and dome-shaped, and one of the buttons is pierced with a foliate design; the other buttons are solid and disk-shaped; eight disk-shaped buttons have an emblem and symbol of their regiment or corps; two of these have an eagle perched atop a cannon; one is inscribed in foliate script; and five others have a flying eagle grasping arrows; two buttons are inscribed on back.
These buttons were excavated by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse dump near the nineteenth-century barracks at West Point, a series of forts and barracks in Orange County, New York built by the Continental Army in 1777. The buttons are of the type worn by American soldiers during and after the War of 1812.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.