Expanded Hours

We're now open Wednesdays through Sundays! Proof of vaccination is required. Learn more >

Buttons (2) excavated at Fort Washington

Object Number: 
INV.6200.349-350
Date: 
1770-1783
Medium: 
Pewter
Dimensions: 
largest: 1/2 in. ( 1.3 cm )
Description: 
Pewter buttons; dome-shaped.
Gallery Label: 
These buttons were excavated on May 20th or 21st, 1922 by the Field Exploration Committee at Fort Washington. Built by the Continental Army in the summer of 1776, the fort extended west along 183rd Street from Fort Washington Avenue to Pinehurst Avenue. The fort was captured on November 16, 1776 by British and Hessian forces, and was occupied by them until 1783. The buttons were probably worn on the uniform of a British soldier stationed at the fort.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group