Buttons (2) excavated at Fort Ticonderoga
largest: 1 in. ( 2.5 cm )
Pewter buttons excavated at Fort Ticonderoga; solid pewter disks.
These buttons were excavated by the Field Exploration Committee at Fort Ticonderoga, at Lake Champlain in New York. Built by the French in 1755 and named Carillon, the fort was destroyed in 1759 in anticipation of capture by General Amherst. Rebuilt as Ticonderoga, it was captured on May 10, 1775 by the Green Mountain Boys under Ethan Allen and Colonel Benedict Arnold, and recaptured by General Burgoyne in June, 1777. The buttons are of the type worn by Hessian soldiers during the Revolution.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.