Update

Visitors ages 12 and older are required to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19. Learn more >

Button fragments (4) excavated at Fort Haldimand

Object Number: 
INV.5940.41-44
Date: 
1760-1783
Medium: 
Brass
Dimensions: 
largest: 7/8 in. ( 2.2 cm )
Description: 
Brass button fragments excavated at Fort Haldimand; backs and faces of two-piece buttons; backs have loop-shaped fasteners on back.
Gallery Label: 
These buttons were excavated by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse pit at Fort Haldimand, a British fort on Carleton Island in the St. Lawrence River in New York, just below the Canadian border. Built in 1779, the fort commanded passage of the river and was retained by the British until its destruction by American forces in 1812. The buttons were worn by British or Loyalist soldiers.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group