Button found in New York City
Mother of pearl, brass
Overall: 1 in. ( 2.5 cm )
Brass button faced with mother of pearl; engraved floral design on front.
This button was found in February, 1893 inside the buried hulk of a vessel during digging for a power house on the cable road at Front Street, between Broad and Whitehall Streets in lower Manhattan. The ship was probably sunk as ballast for landfill sometime between 1770 and 1820.
Gift of John D. Crimmins, 1893
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.