Button excavated at West Point
Overall: 7/8 in. ( 2.2 cm )
Bronze button excavated at West Point; disk with thin bronze face; floral decoration and border design of wavy lines.
This button was excavated in 1923 by the Field Exploration Committee from the refuse pit of the Revolutionary War barracks at West Point, a citadel in Orange County, New York built by the Continental Army in 1777. West Point was built to establish American control of the Hudson River, and to guard the Hudson Highlands from attack. The button's thin-faced make indicates that it may have belonged to an officer, and it may have been made in France and sent as part of military aid shipments.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.