Button excavated at a Revolutionary War military camp in New York City
Overall: 5/8 in. ( 1.6 cm )
Wood button excavated at a military camp in Manhattan; disk-shaped with five holes; face is green.
This button was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton, and others before the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918, at 170th Street near Fort Washington Avenue, within the area of a British and Hessian camp between 168th and 171st Streets, west of Broadway. In the summer and fall of 1778, the Hessian Von Donop Regiment occupied the camp upon returning to New York after the British evacuation of Philadelphia. The British 38th Regiment occupied the camp by summer, 1781.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.